As you reflect on your week, did you praise your team members more than you critiqued them? No matter what, experts all agree with this: You will have a happier and more productive workforce if they feel like valued employees. And the more you praise your staff for a job well done, the more productive they will be.
Although praise seems like such a simple thing, it's often done unsuccessfully, if at all. To help you or someone you know become better at praising, we have listed below 6 tips for your review and consideration.
Tip #1: Offer Genuine Praise - When you provide praise, ensure that the content of your message is thoughtful and heartfelt. This will maximize the impact of your words. Your employees don't want to receive praise simply because it's an item on your to-do list, so make it meaningful.
Tip #2: Understand How People Respond To Recognition -Everyone responds to praise differently. While you should ensure equal treatment, consider offering different choices as rewards for a job well done.
Tip #3: Provide Immediate Praise - When you see an employee doing something right, offer praise and positive reinforcement immediately. This lets the employee know that you're not just looking to criticize.
Tip #4: Give Specific Details - When praising an employee, be as specific as possible. This shows the employee that you are particularly attentive to their performance.
Tip #5: Grant Praise And Criticism Separately - When offering praise, keep it simple and specific - avoid mixing in criticism. You can offer performance improvement tips another time. Even the most constructive criticism can mitigate the effect of praise.
Tip #6: Balance Your Praise - Avoid praising only your top performers. Your most lackluster employee may require praise as a means of encouragement for improving.
8 Phrases To Use When Praising Someone:
- I am learning a lot from you.
- I am really glad that you are part of our team.
- I really trust you and that means a lot to me.
- Thank you for helping us out; you were a major factor in the success of this ____.
- That's a great idea; let's roll with it. In fact, why don't you take the lead role in getting it done.
- You are one of the best _____ that we've had in this position.
- You have made a rather significant contribution to this project; thank you.
- You have truly set a new standard for all of us.
For more information, visit our website!